Thursday, October 20, 2005

Nightmare on S. 18th St.

Day 5. Still nothing life-shattering, but whatever you’ve heard about the patch giving you vivid dreams is true. For me, actually slipping into a dreamstate is an infrequent development at best. Morevoer, when I manage to remember the dreams I do have, they’re always mindboggling in their inanity. They invariably revolve around a mundane aspect of my life (say, my penchant for on-the-run hot dogs) that has been blown up to surreal importance. I wake up cursing my subconscious for being so fucking boring. Over the last four nights, I’ve dreampt about hanging out with ?uestlove and struggling to find the general science section in a Barnes & Noble-type establishment. In the latter (based, strangely enough, on an actual "incident" from last week), a reluctant clerk points me to the section’s new home in the store’s cavernous basement, which can only be entered after battling a series of Pitfall-esque trials. Freud was full of shit.

Though I remain more energetic and alert than ever, writing’s still a major, major chore. This blog could easily consist of me howling “Sentences aren’t coming to me!” every post. I therefore promise not to mention this problem till I get it licked. You’re welcome.