Monday, November 28, 2005

Right leg still mostly immobilized, thanks for asking

Day 45. The plan, as though I really need to go into it again, was to take a more aggressive position on getting myself into shape once I quit smoking. (That is, quite apart from quitting smoking.) Gyms were to be joined, bikes were to be ridden, jogs were to be taken, and healthy food was to be imbibed at near-sickening amounts. Not one week into my plan, my knee cap went out.

As of last week, I hit the one month anniversary of this abrupt little accident. Needless to say, I've been doing very little of the planned shape-getting-into, which, also needless to say, means instead of becoming Mr. Healthy Buff Guy, I'm closer to George Clooney in Syriana. (And may I just say that his weight and facial hair gain was a very, very brave move for an actor of his handsomeness.) It's not as though I've been inert. I was only confined to invalid status for a week. Once I was physically able to walk, I did, and I've been long back to my more normal, non-friend-relying-on lifestyle. But everything's that much harder. I can't walk too, too much, or my knee gets red and I need to get off of it for a bit. Stairs are a continuous pain in the ass. And when I sit in public places (buses, subways, movie theaters, restaurants), I have to position myself in such a way that my leg is completely straight.

Okay, so that last one's more of a carp than a symptom of something dreadful.

What this -- or most of it -- translates into is pure, unadulterated exhaustion. As in, jesus christ am I tired all the time. It's not as bad as when I was sucking down a pack and a half a day, but it's eerily close. On Saturday, I finally switched to level 2 on the Nicoderm Life Plan Parade (the patch is smaller, wouldn't you know) and the effect was instantaneous and quite noticeable: basically, I became lethargic and energy-free. Halfway through the day, I simply passed out for awhile. It hasn't gotten much better. I'm pretty sure this didn't happen when I switched from ciggies to patch (45 days ago, as you know), and I'm wondering how long it'll be till my body takes the hint and gets in line. It better hurry up; I'm a busy man.

(Also, I apologise if this is just all too much whine whine whine, or especially so in this case or whatever. See the last paragraph.)